Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Isramart : Parliament hopeful sheds tonnes with carbon diet

Isramart News:
A PARLIAMENTARY hopeful has signed up to a ‘green’ diet in support of the fight against climate change.

Harriett Baldwin, Conservative parliamentary candidate for West Worcestershire, planted 17 broad-leaf trees in 2009 to offset the carbon emissions she has generated through her role over the past year as part of the Tree Appeal.

The number of trees reflects a drop in her carbon emissions from the previous year when she planted 22, and in 2007 when the figure was 23.

Ms Baldwin said the drop was down to holidaying in Britain, switching-off lights and plug switches, recycling and composting.

“Finally, I managed to hold off turning on the central heating until the end of October. However, I still have above-average carbon emissions because I drive such a lot around West Worcestershire,” she said.

“My current car emits 173 g/km and I am not planning to buy a new one until it gives out. This will be the most promising area for reductions in the future.

“Doing this exercise each year makes me realise how challenging the UK’s carbon reduction ambitions are.”